I’ve been trying to make more vegetarian dishes lately, and this one is a winner. It’s a lot of the same ingredients in ratatouille, but paired with bow-tie pasta. Oh, one thing I’ve learned recently about tomato paste: buy it in a tube! You’ll no longer have that 1/2 can of tomato paste sitting in your fridge, going to waste. Hooray!
5 small italian eggplants, sliced into 1/2 inch halves
1 large Italian zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch halves
1 yellow onion, coarsely diced
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz; I love San Marzano tomatoes!)
tomato paste, 1-2Tbsp
olive oil, 2 Tbsp
garlic, 2 cloves, minced
*optional: red chili flakes, basil, splash of red wine, cheese, parsley
* also optional: “sweat” the sliced eggplant with kosher salt to remove excess liquid and to reduce cooking time
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan on high heat. Fry eggplants until tender (about 10 minutes). Add garlic.
- Meanwhile, bring salted water to boil in a large pot. Cook pasta as directed. Drain.
- Add onion to the eggplant and garlic. When onions start getting translucent, add zucchini.
- Add salt, pepper, chili flakes, basil to taste.
- When all veggies are done, turn heat down to medium-high and add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and a splash of red wine.
- Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for as short or as long as you wish.
- Add pasta to the sauce. Turn off heat and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with grated cheese and/or parsley, if desired. Serve and enjoy!