Here’s what we got last week in our Eatwell Farm CSA box:
heirloom cherry tomatoes
early girl tomatoes
Middle Eastern cucumbers
Italian flat leaf parsley
mixed sweet peppers
fingerling potatoes (Russian Banana variety)
As you can see, we had tomatoes coming out of our ears. The cherry tomatoes were great by themselves or in a salad. For the heirlooms, I wanted to feature them… and what better way than in a BLT sandwich? These sandwiches were great, even though I did over-toast the first batch of sourdough bread.
We used one of two early girl tomatoes in breakfast scramble, along with farm fresh eggs, onions, and peppers. Sorry, no photos — we ate it too quickly, as we were both famished after a long run.
When I saw the fingerling potatoes, I single-mindedly decided that they shall be roasted! We roasted chicken legs too, and had a side of caramelized onions and zucchini. Simple and delicious. Also, I realized that it’s very hard to over-roast a chicken leg. Typically, I put them in the oven for 30-35 minutes at 425F. Today I forgot about them until ~ 45 minutes — they were still amazingly tender and juicy. Pretty much fail proof.
The other thing we had a lot of was zucchini and potatoes. My solution? Enter the terms “zucchini and potato” into the iPhone allrecipes app and voila! Zucchini and potato bake. It looked pretty good and had great reviews, so we decided to give it a whirl. Indeed, it was a success. I altered the recipe slightly, by adding a jalapeno and more garlic. We thought it would also be good with eggs, sausage, or bacon. Anyway, it was so good that I’m including the recipe here. Enjoy!
Zucchini and Potato Bake, adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into large pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- paprika to taste
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- optional: 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a medium baking pan, toss together the zucchini, potatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, bread crumbs, and olive oil. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and lightly brown.