Here’s a yummy and easy recipe I came up with earlier this year. It took me another 6 months to test it, and I’m happy to report that it’s a winner! The version below is vegan, but I think it’d also be mighty tasty with ground pork or sliced chicken. Just make sure you marinate the meat in some soy sauce and rice wine, then cook it separately (before the eggplant) and set it aside. Add it back in at the same point in time as the tofu below. Enjoy!
Five Spice Eggplant + Tofu
– 4 Tbsp soy sauce
– 2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
– 1 Tbsp corn starch,
– 2/3 cup water or broth
– 1-2 Tbsp hot sauce of your choice (I like chili garlic)
– 1 tsp rice vinegar
– 1/8 tsp five spice
2 Japanese eggplants (~ 1 pound total), cut in half moon slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks green onion, sliced thinly (1 stalk = 1 “bulb”)
1 package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, stirring regularly.
- When the eggplant is more than halfway done, push it to the side of the pan. Add 1 Tbsp oil and fry garlic and 2/3 of green onions in the center of the pan for about 1 minute.
- Stir the sauce, making sure to dissolve the corn starch, and add to the pan. Mix thoroughly. Add water if necessary.
- When eggplant is ~85% done, turn down the heat to medium low. Add the tofu.
- Mix thoroughly for another minute, taking care not break up the tofu. Turn off the heat. Garnish with the remaining green onion.